Position: Lifeguard/Instructor Effective Date: February 2015
Department: Parks & Recreation
Salary: $8.00 - $10.00
Job Class: Summer Seasonal
Job Closes: June 4, 2017
**Lifeguard training and Water safety instructor training courses will be held in May and June for those needing certifiction.
Monitors activities in swimming areas to prevent accidents and provide assistance to swimmers by performing the following duties.
· Cautions swimmers regarding unsafe areas.
· Rescues swimmers in danger of drowning and administers first aid.
· Maintains order in swimming areas and enforces water park rules.
· Inspects facilities for cleanliness and performs general water park maintenance and janitorial duties.
· Gives swimming instructions. Must demonstrate competency in freestyle, back stroke, breast stroke, butterfly, elementary back stroke and side stroke.
Must be able to meet attendance and punctuality requirements for this position. Must abide by all city policies and procedures. Must work well with others and be a team player.
Applicants may be required to submit to a criminal background check, fingerprint & drug testing.
Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Must be at least 16 years of age and complete the American Red Cross Life Guarding Course or provide a current certificate. Instructors must complete the American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Course or provide a current certificate.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos. Ability to write detailed incident reports. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.